The Propeller Team
An accessible and approachable service that offers straight-forward advice and support.
Propeller is a multi-award winning service and a leader within the Higher Education sector. Having existed for over 10 years, our team of advisors boast a wide range of industry experience from employability and education to accounting and recruitment. Here at UCLan, we foster a culture of enterprise, creating a community of innovative and enterprising individuals.
WHO DO WE SUPPORT?
The Propeller team supports:
- Early stage pre-/post- start-up businesses.
- Sole traders, Limited companies, co-operatives, social enterprises, freelancers, community interest groups, charities, not-for-profits and more.
- Development of an entrepreneurial mind-set through online and face to face learning environments.
- Impactful academic activity that embeds enterprise, entrepreneurship, leadership and employability in the curriculum.
We work with people who have not yet started businesses, as well as offering support throughout the first three years of trading. If you fit into one of the following three categories, we can help:
- Current students at UCLan or partner institution
- UCLan graduates (no matter how long ago you graduated)
- UCLan staff members
- Centre for SME Development members
Inspired by the UCLan values of common sense, compassion, teamwork, attention to detail and trust, Propeller looks to:
- Demystify self-employment options by being straight-forward and approachable
- Maintain a reputation for excellence through working with integrity and a consistent standard of high quality
- Work together in friendship and respect to support customers, colleagues and friends
- Shortlisted alongside the Centre for SME Development for the Times Higher Education awards 2019 – Outstanding Entrepreneurial University
- Shortlisted for the 2019 National Enterprise Network Awards – Innovation in Higher Education
- Lancashire Business Awards: Winner – Best Business Enabler of the Year 2015
- SFEDI: Runner Up – Enterprise/Training Support Organisation of the Year 2010
BUSINESS AT UCLAN
Propeller is part of the UCLan Business offering.
Most of UCLan Business activities focus on sharing knowledge, training and resources with businesses outside of the University itself. Although the businesses Propeller work with come under this remit, we work to a slightly different eligibility criteria. Rather than solely focusing on pre-existing local businesses, we engage current students, staff and graduates to be more entrepreneurial.
We work with business at all stages of development, in both commercial and academic environments.
Propeller contributes to the delivery of UCLan’s Corporate Strategy 2015-2020 by addressing the key strategic themes of:
- Student access
- Experience and Success
- Research and Innovation
- Social Engagement
The U Start project is part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund. The project aims to assist graduates from the University of Central Lancashire and Lancaster University to start up their own businesses through pre- and post- start-up support. People who benefit from the project are students enrolled with the Universities, staff at one of the Universities (including academic and non-academic staff), and alumni based within the region who have recently graduated. This funding contributes to our workshop delivery, external mentoring and Flightpath.
U Start eligible clients are:
Located in Lancashire
Employ 250 employees or less
Have an annual turnover of less than £40 million and/or an annual balance sheet total of less than £35 million
Have received less than €200,000 of publicly funded support in the last three fiscal years