The Propeller Team
An accessible and approachable service that responds to your needs, offering straight-forward advice and support.
WHO IS PROPELLER?
Propeller is a multi-award winning service and a leader within the Higher Education sector, having existed for over 10 years. Our team of advisors boast a wide range of industry experience from employability and education to accounting and recruitment.
The Propeller team supports:
- Early stage pre- and post- start-up businesses
- Sole traders, Limited companies, co-operatives, social enterprises, freelancers, community interest groups, charities and not-for-profits and more
- Development of an entrepreneurial mind-set through online and face to face learning environments
- Impactful academic activity that embeds enterprise, entrepreneurship, leadership and employability both inside and outside the curriculum
Inspired by the UCLan values of common sense, compassion, teamwork, attention to detail and trust, Propeller looks to do the following:
- We are helpers and enablers
- We work with integrity to a high standard of quality
- We strive to maintain and develop a reputation for excellence
- We work together in friendship and with respect
- We dedicate ourselves to supporting customers, colleagues and friends
- Lancashire Business Awards: Winner – Best Business Enabler of the Year 2015
- SFEDI: Runner Up – Enterprise/Training Support Organisation of the Year 2010
BUSINESS AT UCLAN
Propeller is part of the UCLan Business offering.
Most of UCLan Business activities focus on sharing knowledge, training and resources with businesses outside of the University itself. The businesses Propeller work with come under this remit. However, rather than solely focusing on pre-existing local businesses, we engage current students and graduates to be more entrepreneurial.
We work with business at all stages of development, in both commercial and academic environments. Thanks in part to Propeller’s high-quality enterprise support, UCLan has been shortlisted five times for the Times Higher Education “Entrepreneurial University of the Year” award.
Propeller contributes to the delivery of UCLan’s Corporate Strategy 2015-2020 by addressing the key strategic themes of:
- Student access
- Experience and Success
- Research and Innovation
- Social Engagement
We work with people who have not yet started businesses, as well as offering support throughout the first three years of trading.
- Current student at UCLan or partner institution
- UCLan graduates (no matter how long ago you graduated)
- UCLan staff members
The U Start project, part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund, aims to assist graduates from the University of Central Lancashire and Lancaster University to start up their own businesses. People who benefit from the project are students enrolled with one of the Universities, staff at one of the Universities (including academic and non-academic staff), and alumni based within the region who have recently graduated. This funding contributes to our workshop delivery, external mentoring and Flightpath. U Start eligible clients are:
- Be located in Lancashire
- Employ 250 employees or less
- Have an annual turnover of less than £40 million and/or an annual balance sheet total of less than £35 million
- Have received less than €200,000 of publicly funded support in the last three fiscal years.