Propeller Enterprise Award
Up to £1000 to help you develop your enterprising project or business idea
You can apply for up to £1,000 award to help turn your enterprising idea into reality or to further grow your existing early stage business (including social/voluntary enterprises and projects). The award is flexible and Team Propeller will support you during your application and with your project. However the award does come with responsibilities and you must be prepared to put in the effort to make your project a success.
What can the award support?
The award is flexible and can support a number of different costs. Examples include:
- Feasibility exercises/market testing
- Marketing content & materials, including digital
- Operating costs
- Business equipment
- Specialist expertise
Who can apply?
- Current full-time or part-time students of UCLan or partner institutions.
List of partner institutions
- Blackburn College
- Burnley College
- Carlisle College
- City & Islington College
- Furness College
- Futureworks Training Ltd
- Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
- Huddersfield New College
- Hugh Baird College
- Kendal College
- Lakes College West Cumbria
- Lancaster and Morecambe College
- Myerscough College
- Oldham College
- Preston’s College
- Runshaw College
- School of Electronic Music
- Southport College
- SSR Manchester
- SSR London
- St Helens College
- St Mary’s College
- Wigan and Leigh College
- Wirral Metropolitan College
- UCLan or partner institution graduates who are within 12 months of their graduation date on the date of application? Evidence of graduation will be required.
What is the application process?
It’s a two stage process and we’ll allocate a Propeller mentor to help you:
- Application form – You tell us about your idea, why the award would help, what you’d spend the money on and when.
- Panel meeting – You give a 10-minute presentation on your project to 3 people, who’ll then ask you a few questions.
Can you help me with the application?
If you want help with the application, we can assign a mentor to talk through your idea and what you need.
How do I get the money?
If the panel decide to support your project, you’ll be offered an “Enterprise Deal”. This will set out:
- The amount of award you’re being offered
- What it’s to be spent on and by when
- Your commitment to attend review meetings with your mentor and any additional workshops that your mentor recommends (no more than 12 hours in total over the course of your project).
- The evidence we’ll need to prove that you’ve spent the money on what we agreed you’d be spending it on. We’ll structure each deal individually to suit the project but It’s likely that up to half of the award will be paid to you in advance with the balance being paid once you’ve shown that your project is on track and evidenced the initial spend.
We keep the Enterprise Deal fairly simple, but it’s important that you understand that the award comes with obligations. Award payments can only be made via bank transfer to your account.
Can I change my mind?
- You can withdraw at any stage during the application process, just let your mentor know.
- If you want to withdraw after we’ve given you part of your award but before you’ve spent any of it then you’ll just need to return it.
- If you’ve already spent some or all of the money then we’ll need you to evidence what you’ve spent and return any that you aren’t going to use. Your mentor will also work with you to understand why things haven’t worked out as planned and to see what lessons can be learned for the future.
It’s important that you let us know as soon as possible if you wish to withdraw, or your plans change in any way.